mtm2935 has added a photograph to the pool:
Building started in 1883 through the reign of Alexander III. The church was devoted to be a memorial to his father, Alexander II.
The church is prominently located alongside the Griboedov Canal; paved roads run alongside each side of the canal. On March 13, 1881 as Tsar Alexander’s carriage handed alongside the embankment, a grenade thrown by an anarchist conspirator exploded. The tsar, shaken however unharmed, received out of the carriage and began to remonstrate with the presumed wrongdoer. A second conspirator took the prospect to throw one other bomb, killing himself and mortally wounding the tsar. The tsar, bleeding closely, was taken again to the Winter Palace, the place he died a number of hours later.